Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Aaron M. Renn
Subject: Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:39:30 -0600

Nic Ferrier (address@hidden) wrote:
> The page showing the merge status of libgcj and classpath shows that
> the classes:
>
>    java.net.SocketInputStream
>    java.net.SocketOutputStream
>
> have not been merged into libgcj yet.
>
> The main reason for this is that they don't exist in the Sun API.

These are not public classes.  They are used internally by the Classpath
implementation.

> Would the Classpath people like me to add timeout code to their Socket
> implementation?

Sure

> If so, would it also be okay to remove the stream classes and make
> them inner classes (of PlainSocketImpl). That should clear them off
> the merge list.

As they aren't public classes, I don't think this is necessary.  But
if you really want to, I would not object. (I personally don't care much
for inner classes all that much).

I believe all of the easy parts of java.net are already merged.  What
remains is the native stuff, including the corresponding Java classes
and URL's.  I think.

--
Aaron M. Renn (address@hidden) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/

"We have a choice, either to change the way we live, which is unacceptable,
or to change the way that they live, and we chose the latter."
  - Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, News briefing, 2001-09-18