Re: mauve results posted nightly

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: mauve results posted nightly
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:47:59 -0500

Brian Jones wrote:
So barring accidents of nature or human error I'll hopefully be able
to post nightly Mauve results for Kissme/Classpath starting today.
The Classpath homepage, http://www.classpath.org/, has been updated
with links.  I have added japicompat results against 1.1 and updated
to japitools-0.9.

Couple of requests regarding the japitools output:

1) Could you modify your scripts to use the -q option to japicompat to turn off progress indicators, and redirect only stdout, not stderr, to the file that you publish? That'll give much cleaner output - for 0.9 I specifically tweaked the output so that doing this would give all the output you need, and none you don't (that's why the 0.9 output looks worse than 0.8.x with what you're doing now, because all the summary information goes to both stdout *and* stderr, so it gets into your output twice, and I removed all attempt to flush the streams in a coordinated fashion to get a nice order, because it's unneeded if you're only using one stream).

(When running manually, redirecting only stdout and *not* giving the -q option will give you the usual pretty progress indicator while still giving the exact same output file).

2) Would you consider publishing the classpath.japi.gz file that's generated nightly? I'm working on HTML output and probably within a couple of days I'll be able to set up a script to pull down the japi file and publish an experimental HTML-ified comparison nightly. Later, if other projects do the same thing, it'll provide a useful way to experiment with side-by-side comparisons of, say, Kaffe's compatibility versus Classpath's (which is a future feature I want to add to the HTML output, although it might take a while). Also, what time does the script run (so I can set up my script to run later, so I get the latest japi file)?

By the way, it occurs to me that japize could probably be freed from its JDK dependency by even an extremely naive implementation of TreeSet.subSet (or the dependency TreeMap.subMap). I'm thinking as simple as:

SortedMap subMap(Object from, Object to) {
  TreeMap result = new TreeMap();
  for (Iterator i = entrySet().iterator(); i.hasNext(); ) {
    Entry e = (Entry) i.next();
    if (((Comparable) to).compareTo(e.getKey()) <= 0) break;
    if (((Comparable) from).compareTo(e.getKey()) <= 0) {
      result.put(e.getKey(), e.getValue());
    }
  }
  return result;
}

(untested code, but you get the idea). Japize doesn't depend on anything complicated like being able to modify the subset and having it reflect on the original set, and its use of subset isn't performance critical, so this implementation should be just fine. Adding something like this to classpath should allow the japitools output to be generated on a machine with no non-free code installed.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer
NetReach - Internet Solutions