Re: The Road to 1.0

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: The Road to 1.0
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:05:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Aaron M. Renn wrote:

> The Classpath project has reached a milestone of sorts.  Five years ago
> in March 1998, the Classpath project was born when I started work on a
> java.net implementation for the Japhar JVM project.  Shortly thereafter,
> Paul Fisher and Brian Jones stopped working on Japhar in order to
> concentrate on writing a class library.  Thus Classpath came into being
> as a separate project with the inauspcious name of "JCL".
>
> Happy Birthday, Classpath!

Hip hip hurrah!

I've been watching most of the time: I joined the Java world when I
downloaded Kaffe in mid/late 1998, and joined Acunia in November of that
year. In that time Classpath has gone from an "interesting idea" to a
solution I would now recommend to anyone starting an academic or
commercial VM project. (In fact I did recommend just that to someone on
comp.lang.java.machine a while ago).

My future is a bit open just now (I'm being "downsized"), but it's likely
to feature VMs and/or open source. Who knows, I may one day find myself
contributing to Classpath. :) Until then, many happy returns and copious
congratulations!

--

Chris Gray

VM Architect, ACUNIA