Request for help + Re: java.lang.Class patches

From: Prof. Etienne M. Gagnon
Subject: Request for help + Re: java.lang.Class patches
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:49:10 -0500

Hi!

A small clarification, first:

Archie Cobbs wrote:
FYI the method VMClass.initialize() was written by Etienne Gagnon
<address@hidden> as part of SableVM (which is under GPL),
so he should be listed as an author as well.

To be precise: VMClass.initialize() is under GPL + Classpath exception, and the copyright is assigned to the FSF, even though I have not taken the time to check this code back into GNU Classpath CVS. (My FSF assignment paperwork was done a while ago).

SablVM itself is under LGPL (*Lesser* GPL), and copyrighted by me and others. I think this is important for people to know. :-)

REQUEST FOR HELP

If any Classpath member would like to help, we (SableVM project members) are starting the modifications for SableVM to work directly with GNU Classpath CVS. I have set up a sablevm-experimental CVS module (www.sablevm.org go to CVS link) which includes current SableVM + recent GNU Classpath CVS snapshot. The new Classpath code breaks SableVM, so it would be nice to have as much help as possible to resolve the problems as fast as possible. I myself won't be available to help for the next week, but other SableVM developers are present on the mailing lists.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Etienne

PS: I will eventually propose some changes to the Classpath. For instance, it would be nice to pass all the code through a standard code indenter. Also, I think it would be a good idea to get rid of the vm/ subdirectory, and use M4 to manage the potentially small difference in VM*.java classes between various vms. More about this later, once SableVM is up to date with current CVS.

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/