Re: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath (Prize money inside!)

From: Michael Hind
Subject: Re: Running Eclipse on Jikes RVM and Classpath (Prize money inside!)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:00:47 -0400

Mark,

        Thanks for encouring this effort.

> - Jikes RVM (2.1.1): Starts Eclipse amazingly fast. Only roadblock seems
> to be that it is not yet selfhosting. (It would be OK to use a non-free,
> proprietary VM to start the bootstrap, but after this it should be able
> to bootstrap itself.)

If I understand you correctly, I think we are currently doing what you say is "OK".    We currently use a non-free JVM to build a boot image (a file containing the memory image of the Jikes RVM).  Then to run an application we use open free software to read the file and begin executing.  There is no other JVM when the application (or Jikes RVM) is running, i.e., all VM requests by the application and VM itself (Jikes RVM is written in Java) are handled by Jikes RVM.

Since Jikes RVM is written in Java we should be able to useJikes RVM for the offline step, building the boot image, as well.  However, we haven't gotten there yet.

Mike

Michael Hind, Manager, Dynamic Optimization Group, JalapeƱo Project
IBM Watson Research Center
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/hind
address@hidden, 914 784-7589, tie: 863-7589
Jikes RVM open source release:  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm