RE: FileDescriptor proposal

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: FileDescriptor proposal
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:02:45 +0200

Anthony Green wrote:
[...]
> The upside of this change is that Classpath/libgcj will be
> able to support a wider variety of systems.  The only
> alternative for some of these systems right now is to provide
> their own version of FileDescriptor and related classes
> instead of using Classpath/libgcj's (IKVM and jx are two
> systems I know of that do this today).

I don't really see the downside to providing my own version of
FileDescriptor. Since its public API is so very tiny (and unlikely to
change), I don't think the complexity of your proposal is compensated by
the advantage of using the standard Classpath FileDescriptor.

Regards,
Jeroen
(author of http://IKVM.NET)