Re: FileDescriptor proposal

From: Anthony Green
Subject: Re: FileDescriptor proposal
Date: 23 Apr 2003 00:21:04 -0700

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 22:29, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I think something similar to this can already be done with our
> existing approach.

Well, soon that should be possible.  Unfortunately you can't just
implement FileDescriptor's public interface and pull your own
implementation in before libgcj.  It still tries to pull both .o files
into the link and you end up with multiple definition errors.  I don't
know why yet.

> It's unlikely that another
> method call here or there is going to be a big problem; I/O is slow.

Not necessarily (buffered IO or other in-core file representations).

> One open question is how your approach would work with java.nio.

I'm trying to figure out how the current scheme works.

java/io/FileDescriptor.java implements a package private constructor
that takes an int as the file descriptor.  The comment says this works
because we access this method from C+++ where package private is
translated to public.  However it looks like
gnu/java/nio/FileChannelImpl.java uses this method.  How is this
possible?

AG