Re: Serialization

From: Guilhem Lavaux
Subject: Re: Serialization
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:56:46 +0200

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,
Besides you suppress the check for the availability of the field although it is quite sure it will not be there (I did not find it in the all source
code of classpath): this causes some huge NullPointerException problems.
The only solution is to change the name "getSerialPersistentFields" into "serialPersistentFields" but I do not see the point to complicate things... :( (if someone can explain it to me)

The only user of the method is setFields() which does the check before
calling getSerialPersistentFields() (it checks by also doing a
getDeclaredField, but this time with the correct spelling).

I agree that the code is not that clean.
Once I have the agreement I will submit the necessary modifications to make the serialization a little stronger (well at least it will make kaffe's regression test pass). There are still one or two issues like the fact the serializer does not check invalid serialPersistentFields but it nearly behaves rightfully.

Cheers,
Guilhem.