Re: file.encoding property

From: Sascha Brawer
Subject: Re: file.encoding property
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:23:31 +0200

Brian Jones <address@hidden> wrote on Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:17:07 -0400:

>Is there a reason to keep gnu.java.io.{encode,decode}.* around when it
>looks like the nio versions could be used?

It probably would make sense to switch to java.nio.charset.

Some of us (Dalibor Topic; Mark Wielaard; Andy Walter; James Hunt; Ingo
Proetel; Sascha Brawer) had discussed this during our meeting at LinuxTag
in Germany.

Quoting from Mark's meeting minutes (http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/
classpath/2003-07/msg00040.html):

> The plan for character encodings is to move to the java.nio.charset
> interface. We already have required encodings for this. But GNU
> Classpath and gcj both still also have their old implementations
> (which are actually used in most places). gcj also has a libiconv
> provider (but not as java.nio.charset provider). A java.nio.charset
> libiconv provider would be nice to have for those systems that
> have that library.

-- Sascha

Sascha Brawer, address@hidden, http://www.dandelis.ch/people/brawer/