Proposed NEWS entry for 0.07 (and test release)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Proposed NEWS entry for 0.07 (and test release)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:12:01 +0100

Hi,

Here is the proposed NEWS entry for the 0.07 release.
Since we had almost 250 ChangeLog entries since 0.06 (only three months
ago) I have only quickly scanned over the list. My apologies if I missed
something. Please suggest additions.

New in release 0.07 (not-yet-released)

* Works with libtool 1.5 (and 1.4.3).
* java.awt gtk+ peers now depend on gtk+ 2.2.x and uses pango.
  Lots and lots improvements on the peers.
* java.awt.geom.CubicCurve2D, java.awt.geom.QuadCurve2D:
  Subdivision and flatness calculation implemented.
* java.awt.geom.FlatteningPathIterator: Working implementation.
* gnu.java.awt.BitwiseXORComposite helper class.
* New rmic compilers (jikes, kjc) support.
* java.text bug fixing and 1.4 updates (Currency).
* Hashtable and HashMap function more similar to other implementations.
* javax.naming and java.beans classloader fixes.
* URL parsing, URLConnection, protocol and (needed) permission fixes.
* More java.nio implementation
  (API complete, but implementation not finished yet).
* Lots of java.net code cleanup.
* Improved documentation.
* Numerous bug fixes in almost every package, and lots of updates for
  1.4 functionality.
* Fixed Classpath bugs:
  #2944 Incorrect synchronization in java.util.logging.ErrorManager
  #6075 java.awt.geom.GeneralPath.getCurrentPoint returns wrong results
  #6076 java.awt.geom.GeneralPath constructor sometimes hangs
  #6089 java.awt.geom.GeneralPath.getPathIterator does not work
  [...]

I tried to come up with a complete bug list but I don't understand how
to convince the Savannah bug tracker to give me one. It should be all
bugs fixed/closed after 2003/22/08 when we released 0.06, but the
returned list looks random to me.

A test release can be found (in a couple of minutes) at:
http://www.klomp.org/mark/classpath/

MD5sum:
115946c39e2795e8d4de32dfaf047790  classpath-0.07+rc1.tar.gz

I will wait for Dalibor his Hastable fix to make it in, but I want to
make the real release in a couple of hours. But if someone has a
showstopper that cannot wait please yell!
(And there is no real hurry since I don't have access yet to upload the
final version to ftp.gnu.org again. Sigh...)

Cheers,

Mark