Re: FreeBSD build failure

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: FreeBSD build failure
Date: 05 Dec 2003 14:29:24 -0700

>> -include $(JAVA_DEPEND)
>>
>> I'm using automake version 1.7.5 .. is that too old?

Michael> Thats a make feature and has nothing to do with
Michael> automake. From what I read every make should support
Michael> "include". The "-" just suppresses error messages like it
Michael> does for other commands too. Can you make sure that if your
Michael> make version supports "include" or not ?

The spelling of `include' varies from make to make.
BSD makes tend to use something like:

    .include "file"

See the AM_MAKE_INCLUDE macro in automake.

Using `-include' definitely is not portable.  Whether or not we care
is a different issue.  It isn't totally unreasonable to just require
GNU make.

Tom