Re: Serialization compatibility testing

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Serialization compatibility testing
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:28:24 +0100

On Saturday 10 January 2004 06:00, C. Brian Jones wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been working a little lately on some tools I once added to japi for
> serialization compatibility testing.  I'm pretty close to having
> something useful, just wondering if anyone is interested in using these
> for checking compatibility?

Yes. :)

> Here's the list of the files that are the
> same when compared to Sun's JDK 1.4.1 for Kaffe 1.1.3.  These .ser files
> are object serializations.  I've omitted the things that are missing in
> Kaffe or exist in Kaffe but not the JDK.  The list of classes the tool
> attempted to serialize is based on Java 1.4 documented serializable
> classes.  I'm looking forward to adding a tool to attempt to read
> objects written by Sun's JDK, from version 1.1 through 1.4 into the
> appropriate object type.  Eventually I'll be able to combine these
> building block type tools to comprehensively state serialization
> compatibility for a JVM to Sun's JDK.  I'll also have fun checking Sun.
>
> :)
>
> I've thought about trying to add this to Mauve.  Thoughts?  New module?

This would be a Good Thing. Wonka's test suite contains some tests which were
originally written for JUnit - you can find them in Wonka CVS under
too/mauve/somewhere, or I could parcel them up and mail them to you; you
might find some ideas you can use.

--
Chris Gray                                  /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi              http://www.kiffer.be/k/