Re: Patch: logging.properties

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: Patch: logging.properties
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:48:16 +0100

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 11:30:54AM +0100, Sascha Brawer wrote:
> Michael Koch <address@hidden> wrote on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:06:39 +0100:
>
> >> [Patch for adding logging.properties]
> >>
> >> Would you mind explaining why exactly this patch is needed? Thanks.
> >
> >This patch is needed to add logging.properties. This file describes and
> >overrides the built-in defaults for java.util.logging.  It's needed to let
> >administrators overwrite the defaults on a global basis.
> >
> >JDK/JRE does it this way, libgcj does it this way and classpath should
> >too.
>
> Umh, I know what the purpose of the logging.properties file is (I've
> written the java.util.logging implementation). What bothers me is the
> comment in the patch: "Most of the defaults are compiled in, so this file
> is fairly minimal."
>
> The logging framework should assign default values for _all_ properties
> when the logging.properties file is not present, or if it is empty. If
> the logging.properties was actually needed, this would indicate a bug in
> the java.util.logging implementation. While adding the logging.properties
> file would be a workaround, I'd rather like to fix the bug.
>
> Do you have some code that does not work without the patch?

This is not to overwrite things in java.util.logging in the default
version. It's more to make the administrator aware that he can change
the defaults easily site-global. It should show the defaults in
java.util.logging too. That way the admin doesnt has to look into the
sources to see them. Thats not the case currently. The logging.properties
in Suns JRE does this.

Michael