Re: Starting to swing... [screenshots]

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Starting to swing... [screenshots]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:50:12 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 19:23, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 19:39, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> >  >   http://people.redhat.com/~graydon/free-swing-mar-23-2004.png
> >
> > OK SableVM guys!  I'd like to see this in SableVM's staging tree *now*!
> [...]
> > What's missing?
>
> [...]
> - Although we have a TestAWT application, we don't have a TestSwing
> application. It would be nice if Graydon could post the sources of the
> demos he used for the nice shots at http://people.redhat.com/~graydon/
> Hint, hint, ... ;)

OK, this one is fixed now!
http://people.redhat.com/~graydon/testswing.java

And it actually works with GNU Classpath from CVS, hurray!
Although it certainly has some drawing bugs (and you have to click
slightly under the buttons to actually hit them!).
I just checked in one little (compile) fix that I discussed with Graydon
on irc. The rest of the free Swing fixes will come later this month when
we sync again with the libgcj gui-branch.

Other happy news on the GUI front is the release of Odonata 0.1 by
Stephane Meslin-Weber. "Odonata is a set of 100% Java AWT peers for use
with framebuffers. It is  released under the GPL and the ultimate aim is
to provide an alternative replacement for native bindings such as QtAWT,
Gtk or MFC. Replacing AWT peers is a transparent method of extending the
range of platforms and hardware that Java's AWT can be used on."
See for source, screenshots, etc. http://odonata.tangency.co.uk/

Quickly tried it out with jamvm + GNU Classpath cvs and gij (CVS, not
gui-branch) on the VNC backend (it actually includes and runs a VNCj
server!) and there are clearly some drawing/layout problems [lots of
black backgrounds] in our code, but some of the basics work. (For
current GNU Classpath it seems you have to comment out the drawLogo()
call in the uk.co.tangency.odonata.Toolkit constructor - although the
logo shows fine under gij 3.4/CVS.)

Cheers,

Mark