Re: Configuration class and --enable-native-sync

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: Configuration class and --enable-native-sync
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:43:35 -0400

C. Brian Jones wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 17:56, Archie Cobbs wrote:
Agreed.. in general more info is better. E.g., why not also throw in
the output of "uname -a", the classpath version, etc.

The classpath version is already present in the Configuration class, but I don't quite see what you'd like to do with the output of "uname -a". I agree it might be nice to be able to get at that information programmatically, but I would think that it would be more useful to get the information about the computer you're running on, instead of about the computer that Classpath was built on.

I'm not sure if the intention is to be able to tell prior to runtime
what the options were or if it is only necessary during runtime.  So it
would be easy enough to add something to the Configuration class, but I
thought folks wanted to not abuse it too much.  Another option perhaps
even in addition to is to simply add these to standard classpath
specific system properties at startup for use via System.getProperty()?

In my case, I want to be able to check at the time I build Jikes RVM. If the user has build GNU Classpath in a configuration that doesn't work well with Jikes RVM (e.g., with CNI instead of JNI), I want to warn her or him so that she or he can build it appropriately. I was prepared to do this by having the host VM run a little Java program that reads the gnu.classpath.Configuration class, and then makes the decision.

(Yeah, a host VM that uses Classpath will normally get gnu.classpath.Configuration from its own bootstrap class loader; you have to do some tricks with class loaders so that the VM's bootstrap class loader reads one version and then a non-delegating class loader reads in another gnu.classpath.Configuration from the version of Classpath that is being used for the build.)

I don't think Jikes RVM will have a great use for getting at it via System.getProperty() -- I suppose it might be nice for the VM to be do some extra sanity checking on what version of Classpath it's been slipped -- but I won't object to the data being available there if some other VM has a use for it.

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm