Re: Odonata+SableVM+Classpath works! (and bootclasspath question)

From: David Bélanger
Subject: Re: Odonata+SableVM+Classpath works! (and bootclasspath question)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:37:18 -0400

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:14:11AM +0100, S. Meslin-Weber wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As reported on #sablevm I'm happy to say that Odonata[1] runs well under
> SableVM. I haven't measured any speeds or memory usage but with regards
> to visual output SableVM is on a par with GIJ (both use GNU Classpath,
> I know, but I didn't want to assume that all JVM using GNU Classpath
> would give the same results). I believe that the GNUClasspath AWT is the
> cause of any visual/behavioural discrepancies I see when running Odonata
> on SableVM (and GIJ) and on Sun's 1.4.2 Java2 SDK.

Hi,

Good work!

> On a related note, I develop Odonata against Sun's 1.4.2 Java2 SDK and
> make use of the -Xbootclasspath/p feature to prepend my classes ahead of
> the JVM's own classes so that mine will be loaded in preference to any
> default ones.
>
> With SableVM I had to resort to extracting my jar file *over* SableVM's
> core classpath installation. This is due to the bootclasspath argument
> in SableVM seemingly not being able to take more than one path. Ideally,
> Sun-like arguments to override, append or prepend to the bootclasspath
> would be highly beneficial.

Yes, this functionality is currently not in SableVM.

In case you or some SableVM developer is interested, it should
be relatively easy to change the code in:
function _svmh_bootcl_internal_load_class_file
in file src/libsablevm/class_loader.c
to parse the boot class path property for multiple paths.

This will allow an override but with multiple paths.  Ex:
your_path:sablevm_boot_classpath

The next step will consist of playing with src/sablevm/sablevm.c
to add append, prepend options.

David

---

David Bélanger