RE: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:35:47 +0200

Stuart Ballard wrote:
> 2) "Unusual" VMs: Things where JNI-centric assumptions don't
> hold true.
> For example, IKVM and Jaos(?) don't use JNI at all within
> Classpath, and their natural "pointer" type is just a normal
> object reference. gcj with CNI also falls into this category.

I'd like to qualify this. IKVM does have native pointers. This
discussion is about RawData use in NIO, in which case we are talking
about native memory (presumably in most/all VM types). For general VM
state, I wouldn't like to see RawData used, because on IKVM, Jaos and
Jikes RVM, you'd typically want the VM state to be in a Java heap object
as well.

Regards,
Jeroen