Re: Patch: remove C++ keywords

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: Patch: remove C++ keywords
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:30:08 -0400

Tom Tromey wrote:
[...]
A third option would be for you to periodically try it out and check
in patches like the one you sent :-).  Assuming the other developers
are ok with this, it wouldn't be unreasonable, just a bit messy.
This seems like the best way to handle the situation.

I have a minor readability nit to pick with the class=>clazz and this=>thiz : There are many places in English when "s" has the phonetic spelling of "z" (when it's "voiced"), but the words "this" and "class" aren't among those places. So, if one is doing a straight substitution, I prefer class=>klass, where at least the phonetic spelling matches the mainstream pronounciation of the word. I also like Stephen Compall's suggestion of maintaining the author's indentation by keeping the replacement text the same length, so his suggestion of this=>self seems to be the best choice to me.

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, a free, open source, Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm