Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:06:55 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 16:43, David P Grove wrote:
> Development Jikes RVM can take a while to build, but does buy some
> performance.  Probably not worth it for classpath development or mauve
> tests, but if you want to run some apps it can pay off.   I have
> prototype and development 2.3.2 images sitting around on my machine,
> so just for fun.

Created a development build and tried it. But...

$ time echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode | ~/src/rvm/bin/rvm
gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
OPT_Compiler failure during compilation of
gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.UnicodeBase.getNext
(Ljava/io/Reader;)Ljava/lang/String;
Ljava/lang/ClassCastException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): *UNEXPECTED* Throwable while displaying stack trace # 24
    The Throwable was: Ljava/lang/NullPointerException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): And its stack trace was:
Ljava/lang/NullPointerException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): *UNEXPECTED* Throwable while displaying stack trace # 26
    The Throwable was: Ljava/lang/NullPointerException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): And its stack trace was:
Ljava/lang/NullPointerException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): *UNEXPECTED* Throwable while displaying stack trace # 27
    The Throwable was: Ljava/lang/NullPointerException;
VM_StackTrace.print(): And its stack trace was:
We got 7 deep in printing stack traces; trouble.  Aborting.
JikesRVM: exit 99

This is a development build bootstrap with a prototype build which was
build with kaffe 1.1.4 though. Some other mauve tests do run with it.
Will post a bigger report to jikesrvnm-core later.

Cheers,

Mark