Re: syntax error near unexpected token `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTK,

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: syntax error near unexpected token `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTK,
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:10:23 +0200

Am Montag, 19. April 2004 14:24 schrieb C. Brian Jones:
> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 06:26, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > Dalibor Topic wrote:

> > > I've tried the autogen.sh script too, preparing to reach for the
> > > brown paper bag ...
> > >
> > > but nope, that still breaks in the same way.
> > >
> > > Something tells me that the PKG_* stuff is in pkg.m4, but for
> > > some reason it does not get picked up aut either autoreconf, nor
> > > autogen.sh
> >
> > The reason is that they are not being told where to look for the
> > thrid-party m4 files. No idea if that's something particular to my
> > setup (am 1.8.3, ac 2.59, libtool 1.5.6), but an
> >
> > ${ACLOCAL} -I .
> >
> > in autogen.sh fixes it, as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Adding a AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([.]) in configure.ac doesn't seem to
> > work though. I haven't tried moving the m4 files into their own
> > subdirectory, though.
> >
> > cheers,
> > dalibor topic
>
> For some reason, yet unknown, Michael put this macro in pkg.m4
> instead of adding it to acinclude.m4 which is where all our local
> macros go. Why it would be there, and augogen.sh would not have the
> appropriate arguments to pick it up, is beyond me.  It isn't a
> standard file name, I checked the 1.7.8 autoconf manual.  It needs to
> be moved to
> acinclude.m4.

This error only occurs on systems where pkk-config is not installed (or
pkg.m4 is not reachable). The code is in pkg.m4 because this is the
file we copied over from pkg-config. I would like to not put its
content into acinclude.m4. This makes maintaining (e.g. updating) it
harder. Instead we should just add "-I ." to autogen.sh. This adds the
code to aclocal.m4 and this is all we need.

> As to the configure options you need, it's supposed to be just
> --disable-jni for what you want.  However, the link between this
> option and the gtk-peer option may be broken, you may need to specify
> both.

I will look into this.

Michael