Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 06:26:24 -0700

Anthony Green wrote:

I did an exotic port, and this was my solution (which I still think is a
good idea!):

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2003-04/msg00092.html

which says:

> My basic plan is to move all of these package private methods to a new
> abstract class called gnu.java.io.PlatformFileDescriptor (for lack of
> a better name).  java.io.FileDescriptor will have one new package
> private method for returning the PlatformFileDescriptor associated
> with that FileDescriptor.

One of the advantages of the new FileChannel-based implementation
is that we no longer need a separate PlatformFileDescriptor.  The
FileChannelImpl serves that need, without the need for an extra
object and extra indirection.  Right now FileChannelImpl is not
sub-classed, but it would be perfectly reasonable and a minor
change to use implementation-specific FileChannel[Impl] classes.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/