Re: building without gtk

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: building without gtk
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 23:22:42 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 07:24, Steven Augart wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >No, we should not silently give the user a crippled AWT.
> >
> This makes sense, in general.
>
> However, it would be really really nice if the version checks happened
> first.  It would be even nicer if several version checks were performed,
> so that the user gets all of the complaints at once.  When I was having
> trouble with this, it was annoying having a bunch of checks succeed only
> then to find out I had the wrong version of package Z, then to rerun,
> wait, and find that I had the wrong version of package Y, etc.

They should all be listed in the INSTALL file and/or the hackers guide.
The idea is that when you get a configure error telling you are missing
a package you read the INSTALL file and make sure you have all
dependencies before trying to reconfigure again. If some things aren't
listed there could you add them?

I believe IBM distributes all the dependencies for GNU Classpath on AIX:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html

> I finally started building on AIX with --disable-gtk-peer, but it wasted
> a fair amount of time.  For some reason that I do not understand,
> Classpath's configure script runs really slowly on a new-ish 64-bit PPC
> AIX machine -- several times slower than it does on the laptop I'm
> typing this on (Pentium III/1.1 GHz, Linux).

I would recommend upgrading to a better, faster and free OS :)

Cheers,

Mark