8+3-filesystem support

From: Dr. Torsten Rupp
Subject: 8+3-filesystem support
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:42:11 +0200

Dear Classpath members,

some time ago there was a discussion how to support systems with a filesystem which are limited to 8+3-filenames (e. g. DOS-filesystem). Not so long ago there were also some messages concerning this and the introduction of a constant like ON_WINDOWS or isWin32. Now I have a system on which I like to use Classpath code with a 8+3-filenames, but with "/" as a separator (thus the current implementation of File.java is again not suitable).

My request: If you make some modifications like ON_WINDOWS or isWin32 for the filesystem code, please take into account that:

1) 8+3-filesystems are _not_ limited to Windows-systems. Thus it would be better to name it fileSystem8_3 or something like that.

2) To decide if a filesystem is limited to 8+3-naming it would imho be nicer not to check if the separator character is "\" (because this fail on some systems which uses a 8+3-filesystem, but the more convenient "/" as a separator). Instead some system property would imho be better.

Sincerely,

Torsten