Re: gij as JRE 5

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: gij as JRE 5
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:07:09 +0000

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 19:26, Michael Koch wrote:

> > Michael> Isn't this a problem without putting new features into
> > HEAD Michael> too as the class gets changes on HEAD and generics
> > branch Michael> anyway ?
> >
> > Yes, though there is a difference in degree.  E.g., our collections
> > classes are fairly mature and don't change very much.  So
> > re-merging those probably won't be too difficult.
>
> I don't know for sure but I would consider the collection classes are
> only a little part of the stuff that needs enhancements for 1.5.
>

> Michael

Yes -- in fact, the Collections classes are largely unchanged apart from
the addition of Generics.  There is a new Queue.

There are entire new packages.  From a quick survey of the top level,

java.lang.annotation
java.lang.instrument
java.lang.management
java.util.concurrent
java.util.concurrent.atomic
java.util.concurrent.locks
javax.imageio.plugins.bmp
javax.management.* (9 packages in all)
javax.swing.plaf.synth
javax.activity

and probably more I missed.  Anything that will compile with 1.4 can
probably go in.  A lot of the language changes, I guess, are to existing
packages, while the other additions are mainly in new packages.

--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner