Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 03:05:02 +0200

Hi,
I'm not a packager here so I don't consider myself to have much say in
the matter, but:
I'd like to see Classpath including every single thing the JDK includes.

Distinguishing between 'core' as in 'what the JDK includes' and 'core
core' which I guess you could loosely define as 'stuff which isn't
runtime-dependent'.

But how do you make that distinction? Things which go through an SPI?
(like JSSE) What about imageio plugins then? Or most of NIO? Taking it
further: What about Swing? In theory you could probably use our swing on
top of Suns AWT. There's nothing stopping people from picking out whole
packages and using that on top of the JDK either.

I'll just have to take the complete opposite view of Archie here: I'd
like us to include everything. If people want something smaller, maybe
we should have a "Classpath Micro Edition" then. I think most users and
developers want something equivalent to the JDK, and those who don't
(e.g. embedded users) will probably already find tons of junk in
Classpath they won't want/need anyway.

I'm sure this can be worked out to the benefit of everyone. It doesn't
need to mean more work. I have no doubt there are synergy effects to be
had if this gets worked out properly. Dalibor had some good suggestions
on how to achive this.

/Sven