Re: rmic contribution

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: rmic contribution
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:39:39 -0400

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 10:48, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Archit> A patch to replace the old RMIC implementation with the new ASM-based
> Archit> one attached. The patch file modifies configure.ac and Makefile.am to
> Archit> deal with asm.jar. The 2 java files go in
> Archit> cp-tools/src/gnu/classpath/tools/rmi/rmic. The Compile*.java files in
> Archit> that directory should be deleted. asm.jar (version 1.5.x) is required
> Archit> and  can be downloaded here:
> Archit> http://download.forge.objectweb.org/asm/asm-1.5.3.jar. I'm not sure
> Archit> where that requirement should be listed (NEWS, README or INSTALL), so
> Archit> the patch doesn't mention it. The newest version of ASM, 2.0, was
> Archit> released three weeks ago and will not work as there were API
> Archit> changes. Updating to use ASM 2.0 instead of 1.5.3 would require
> Archit> minimal effort.
>
> Nobody has reviewed this yet, and I put it off a long time too --
> sorry about that.
>
> The code itself looks good to me.  It could use a few comments; when
> writing code like generateSkel() that builds up a method using some
> IR, I like to have comments showing what the generated code looks like
> (in java-ish pseudo code).  This usually makes it a bit simpler to
> follow what is going on.
>
> As for ASM, I think it is fine for us to use it.  We don't really have
> a good model for how to handle upstream code that we use but don't
> want to export.  My first inclination is to say we should handle it
> like SAX, meaning it would go in external/asm, external/README would
> explain what it is (and where we got it and how and when it can be
> updated), and finally it would be built from source.

Using it should be fine.  It would be great to get everything (dealing
with bytecode) using it but I'm not hacking right now.  I believe the
cp-tools configure stuff is setup to allow you specify where to find
necessary jars.  I don't have a debian or whatever free java system
setup to know where one should look for jar files by default... but
nothing has to be perfect to start out.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>