Re: Bug database transition and fun with bugs

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Bug database transition and fun with bugs
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:57:45 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 22:27 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> > Currently we only have the following modules: awt, classpath, cp-tools,
> > gjdoc, inetlib and swing. I had suggested about 20 modules but it seemed
> > that we don't have enough bugs for that yet. But if you think another
> > category would be helpful AND you want to act as "Initial owner" of that
> > module please say so and it will be added. (Initial owner just means
> > that the bug is automatically assigned to someone who will act as the
> > first person to evaluate the bug.)
> >
> The most obvious suggestion that springs to mind is a separate projects
> for the generics branch (particularly because of the different branch).
> Although I'm not sure this is that worthwhile at present -- one for the
> future if the branch remains for a while, I guess.

My idea was to wait and see if we get enough bug reports on any subject
to warrant a new category. A bug database with tens of components most
of which are empty isn't so helpful. It looks like currently we have
just one explicit generics bug (http://gcc.gnu.org/PR22921). As
comparision Swing and AWT have 124 and 74 bugs open against them. But if
someone feels that we should open a new component and the bugs will come
then please yell (and provide a list of bug numbers that should be in it
and the willingness to be the initial owner for new bugs in that
component).

Note that you can also create a meta-bug that depends on all relevant
bugs if you are working on a specific area for a while. See for example
http://gcc.gnu.org/PR13603 the "[meta-bug] Java security model tracking
PR".

> > I currently need to explicitly set some bits to make people be able to
> > edit all fields of a bug. Everybody can open new bugs and add comments
> > to a bug. If you want to be able to confirm, edit or close a bug report
> > please send me the email address as you registered it with bugzilla and
> > I will add you to the admin group.
> >
> I'd be grateful if you do so with my account under this address
> ( address@hidden )

Done. Please use your new powers wisely.

Cheers,

Mark