Re: JavaMail 1.4 Draft is out

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: JavaMail 1.4 Draft is out
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:15:58 +0100

Regier Avery J wrote:
The JavaMail 1.4 public draft is out and soliciting comments until
September 6th.  With the Sun code that is required in earlier versions
and the problems this list has seen with it, it would behoove someone
who cares to go over the new spec and make sure such problems are fixed
in this new version.

The changes are relatively straightforward and I shall be incorporating them into GNU JavaMail as soon as they have been signed off.

The problems we've encountered in the past have really been down to end users choosing to use Sun provider code explicitly and wondering why their app doesn't work with the GNU providers. This new draft moves IMAP quota handling into the API instead of being provider-specific, which will help to solve one of those problems. The other main issue (IMAP ACLs) is not addressed by the draft, and the situation regarding them is unlikely to change; cf

http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0507&L=javamail- interest&F=&S=&P=6595

Note that API clients will need to modify their code in order to solve the quota issue.
--
Chris Burdess