Qt-peers and AC_PROG_CXX

From: Norman Hendrich
Subject: Qt-peers and AC_PROG_CXX
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:44:46 +0200 (CEST)

A dumb question about the classpath build infrastructure:

Since the recent Qt-peers checkins, trying to build classpath CVS from
scratch fails on my system (basically still a SuSE 8.2 with lots of updates):

native/jni/qt-peer/Makefile.am: C++ source seen but `CXX' is undefined
native/jni/qt-peer/Makefile.am:
native/jni/qt-peer/Makefile.am: The usual way to define `CXX' is to add `AC_PROG
_CXX'
native/jni/qt-peer/Makefile.am: to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.

And indeed, if I uncomment the AC_PROG_CXX call in configure.ac, the
build succeeds (actually, I moved AC_PROG_CXX to after AC_PROG_CPP).

1)  Is there any deep reason why the AC_PROG_CXX test is commented out?
2a) If not, could somebody with write access please reinstate it?
2b) If yes, what magic auto* settings, shell settings, or auto* versions
    are required to pass the CXX tests?

- Norman