GNU Classpath distro DevJam "Europe" (Oldenburg, Germany, 23 - 25 Septem

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: GNU Classpath distro DevJam "Europe" (Oldenburg, Germany, 23 - 25 September)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:40:08 +0200

Hi all,

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 16:02 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Various Debian packagers and developers are interested in coming
> together to improve the Free Software tool chain, the programs and
> the free runtime environments for software written in the java
> programming language.
>
> For such a meeting we would like to include packagers from various
> distributions to coordinate on library names, dependency and
> versioning. And to share experiences on how to integrate and map
> dependencies of tools like ant and maven when creating traditional
> GNU/Linux distribution packages.
>
> So we are proposing a developer and packager meeting around
> coordinating and improving the state of packaging of large scale
> applications written in the java programming language using the GNU
> Classpath, gcj and other free java-like tool chains for the various
> GNU/Linux distributions.
>
> Please see DevJam wiki for details:
> http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam
>
> We hope to get together a group of (20 till 30) people wanting to do
> some hands on hacking to show the state of the art in packaging.
> Resulting in the availability of several new packages, improvements to
> the free tool chains and cross-distribution packaging conventions
> quickly after the meeting.

We got a lot of interest for this meeting and would like to announce
that we will have a gathering in Oldenburg, Germany on Friday 23 till
Sunday 25 September.

To reduce the costs the meeting will be shared with the Oldenburg Linux
Developers Meeting 2005 group: http://meeting.ffis.de/Oldenburg2005/
There will be cheap accommodation for those that bring their own
sleeping bags and mattress. See for more information on Oldenburg and
how to get there by car, train or plane:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldenburg
http://meeting.ffis.de/Oldenburg2004/routing.html

If you haven't added your name to the interested people list on the wiki
please do so soon: http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam
We hope people can arrive on Thursday evening so we can start fresh and
early on Friday 23th of September.

Since we know that there has also been a lot of interest of people
outside Europe we would like to make this our "European" meeting and
schedule a "Worldwide" or "Regional" DevJam++ meeting in a couple of
months to give more people the opportunity to attend. If you are
interested in helping to organize that please add suggestions to the
Wiki: http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam++

Cheers,

Mark