Re: RFC: __attribute__ handling

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: RFC: __attribute__ handling
Date: 01 Oct 2005 14:03:50 -0600

>>>>> "Twisti" == Christian Thalinger <address@hidden> writes:

Twisti> As we need GNU classpath on some non-GNU/Linux systems, like IRIX, and
Twisti> we do not always use GCC as compiler, we run into some __attribute__
Twisti> problems.  When we had our own classpath version, i used a configure
Twisti> macro which does actually the same as the AC_C_INLINE.  How should we
Twisti> address that?

One typical way is to find a header that is used everywhere and add:

    #ifndef __GCC__
    #define __attribute__()
    #endif

I don't think we have a header like this other than config.h.
Adding non-configure-generated defines there is mildly frowned upon
but can be done.

FWIW, one nice thing about adding defines instead of using plain
__attribute__ everywhere is that you can make the attributes
conditional on gcc version.  This doesn't seem to have affected us yet
though.

Tom