Re: A free swing milestone?

From: David Gilbert
Subject: Re: A free swing milestone?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:04:55 +0000

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi David,

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 17:17 +0000, David Gilbert wrote:
Today I was able to load and run to completion the JCommon test suite via JUnit's Swing-based test runner using JamVM and GNU Classpath CVS - here is a screen shot:

http://www.object-refinery.com/classpath/junit-free.png

Very cool!

How would I run this myself? I downloaded jcommon-1.0.0-rc1 but could
find any instructions on how to compile it or run the test suite.

Cheers,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I ran this against my local tree, but if you have downloaded the latest version of JCommon, a couple of steps should get it to run. This assumes you have unpacked the download archive and you've changed to the top level directory (the one with the README.txt file in it):

(1)  Unpack the test classes from the precompiled jar file:

$ unzip jcommon-1.0.0-rc1-junit.jar

I needed to do this so that the JUnit test runner could automatically find the tests - it's possible there is another way, but I don't know it.

(2) Run the JUnit test runner with the correct classpath to find the precompiled JUnit tests, the JCommon classes, and the junit.jar file:

$ jamvm -classpath .:jcommon-1.0.0-rc1.jar:lib/junit.jar junit.swingui.TestRunner

Don't forget the first '.' in the classpath to include the current directory in addition to the jar files.

To run the tests from the GUI, I clicked on the '...' button which brings up a list of all the tests found. I clicked on the JCommonTestSuite option in the list (it includes all the tests), clicked 'OK', and then clicked 'Run'. There are other ways that work too, and a fair few that will get the application into a bad state (but we can work on that).

I think this (the JUnit GUI test runner) is a good application for us to polish up as a showcase for our free swing, because it is relatively simple, yet it is recognisable as a "real-world" application to the majority of Java developers (most of whom know about JUnit already).

Regards,

Dave

P.S. If you prefer compiling the source code yourself before running the tests, change to the 'ant' subdirectory and type 'ant compile' (assuming you have Ant installed). But the above steps will work fine with the precompiled jar files included in the JCommon download.