Problems running GTK-peers on Nokia-770

From: Clemens Eisserer
Subject: Problems running GTK-peers on Nokia-770
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:42:51 +0000

Hello,

I've just got my Nokia770 2 days ago and today I was able to build a
working sablevm package for it, after I sadly failed with kaffe.

It really works well (and slow ;) ) expect  some glitches with
AWT/Peers, however one main problem is there which I wasn't able to
solve:

As soon as I create a JFrame I get the following expections, although
adding Swing components to a Frame works:
jamvm[1625]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GLib-GObject - g_object_ref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
java.lang.InternalError: GLib-GObject: g_object_ref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GdkGraphics.initFromImage (Native Method)
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GdkGraphics.<init> (GdkGraphics.java:108)
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkImage.getGraphics (GtkImage.java:405)
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkComponentPeer.createImage
(GtkComponentPeer.java:236)
   at java.awt.Component.createImage (Component.java:2083)
   at java.awt.Component.createImage (Component.java:2081)
   at javax.swing.RepaintManager.getOffscreenBuffer (RepaintManager.java:487)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.paint (JComponent.java:1442)
   at java.awt.Container$GfxPaintVisitor.visit (Container.java:1765)
   at java.awt.Container.visitChild (Container.java:1569)
   at java.awt.Container.visitChildren (Container.java:1531)
   at java.awt.Container.paint (Container.java:764)
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkComponentPeer.handleEvent
(GtkComponentPeer.java:313)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl (Component.java:4845)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl (Container.java:1592)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl (Window.java:628)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent (Component.java:2343)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent (EventQueue.java:475)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run (EventDispatchThread.java:75)
jamvm[1625]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gdk - gdk_colormap_alloc_colors:
assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
java.lang.InternalError: Gdk: gdk_colormap_alloc_colors: assertion
`GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GdkGraphics.setFGColor (Native Method)
   at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GdkGraphics.setColor (GdkGraphics.java:372)

Nokia claims that the modified GTK-2.6.? they use is binary compatible
to GTK-2.6.
I went a bit through the peers code and it was quite straightforeward
to read, however I did not find a function call to "g_object_ref" and
I have to admit that I am a gtk noob.
As far as I can see either classpath makes some assumptions how GTK
should be (low probability) or Nokia's GTK implementation is broken
(more likely). Any ideas where the root of the problem could come
from?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens