Re: 0.19 generics branch release? was Re: 0.19 "release meeting"

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: 0.19 generics branch release? was Re: 0.19 "release meeting"
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:12:07 +0100

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:33 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> >> any discussion of the idea of making a 0.19 release of the
> >> generics branch as well as HEAD?
>
> Stuart> So I'll, um, take that as a no shall I? ;)
>
> I would guess that most folks are deferring to Mark for release info,
> and he's not around until the end of the week.
>
> IMO it would require a dedicated volunteer... the releases already
> seem to take a lot of Mark's time, and we would want to minimize
> differences between the two branches at release time in order to avoid
> confusion on the part of Classpath users.
>
> Tom

I'm willing to handle releases for the generics-branch.  The reason I
haven't merged the lot recently is because 0.19 did seem an appropriate
time to do this, and with the additional hope that a release would be
possible (hopefully, a few days at the most behind HEAD).  So, in
effect, we'd have a 0.19 HEAD and a 0.19 generics, the latter of which
seems to be gaining more interest.

As to the rate of merges after this, I'd welcome comments on this.  One
of the reasons I've let it slip a bit recently is because quite a few
patches have been added to the generics branches following the JAPI
results, and thus the two are a bit more distant than they were.  But,
if there's a demand for it, we can do more frequent merges than on a
release basis.  I can probably manage up to weekly; anything more
frequent and someone else will need to help out with that.  However, you
should note that, given the rate of commits per day seen on HEAD now,
the branch tends to fall out of sync before the merge is even committed.

The final say is obviously up to Mark on this, when he gets back.  As I
say, I'm willing to handle it, and if Mark lets me in on the process he
usually goes through for HEAD, then we can do much the same with this
branch.

Andrew :)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }