Compilation of Classpath with ecj on a 64-bit VM

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Compilation of Classpath with ecj on a 64-bit VM
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:04:02 +0000

Hi all,

        I recently hit on the same bug again for the second time, and still
there seems to be no general solution to it.  ecj is a Java-based Java
compiler, which means that in compiling Classpath, it can run across
problems in the VM or Classpath.  On x86_64, this leads to a spurious
error with the MIN_DOUBLE value that ends up being misconverted from the
literal in the Java source file.

I've already mentioned this problem here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath-patches/2005-07/msg00395.html

back in July, and received no response then.  The original message that
refers to is even older (January 2004).  I believe this is quite a
serious issue, as it prevents the generics branch being compiled on
x86_64 (as only ecj can currently accomplish this), or ecj being used
there at all for that matter.  At the moment, I only solve this by using
a locally-modified version of kaffe.  I can't use a native version of
ecj for the same reason.

As such, I'm opening this to a wider audience in the hope of getting
some response.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

If you use Microsoft Office, support movement towards the end of vendor
lock-in:
http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }