Re: mauve comparison with tgolem

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: mauve comparison with tgolem
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:03:48 +0100

Hi Christian,

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 21:20 +0100, Christian Thalinger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:04 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> * Changed implementation of VMClassLoader.getPackage(s) : new method
> >   VMClassLoader.getBootPackages should be implemented by the vm, and sould
> >   return a string array of boot package names ("java.lang", "java.net",
> > ...).
> >   Feedback from vm implementors for usability and relevance of the
> >   getBootPackages method would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Why isn't there a default implementation which returns the GNU classpath
> boot package names?  For CACAO, there are not others.

Probably because it was thought that it was easier for the runtime to
provide this list. Since GNU Classpath doesn't come with a default
bootstrap class loader (they are mostly different between runtimes)
there is no easy hook to collect them all. We could of course have a
little script that collects them all during configure/build time and
then makes them available somewhere in some generated source code. Can
you write something like that?

Cheers,

Mark