State of the VM interface

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: State of the VM interface
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:23:05 +0100 (CET)

Hi there,

I investigated the state of our VM interface by looking at the stuff in
native/jni and here are the classes that seem to directly access native
code without utilizing a VM interface:

java.lang.reflect.Array
gnu.java.net.PlainSocketImpl (in process)
gnu.java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl (in process)
gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl
gnu.java.nio.MappedByteBufferImpl

The remaining stuff is for the midi and iconv providers, I think these
are optional anyway and don't belong in a VM interface (or do they?).

Besides that, our Java-code in gnu.* java.* and javax.* seems to be free
of direct calls into native code. If one of our goals for a 1.0 release
is a complete VM interface (I think it is), then this seems to be quite
close... :-)

Cheers,
Roman