Re: [Devjam] Re: DevJam thanks, devjam mailinglist and DevJam++

From: Mark Wielaard
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:02:52 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 14:34 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Mark Wielaard]
> > And if you are interested in participating or helping out with a
> > followup meeting please see the wiki about DevJam++:
> > http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam++
>
> Is it about time to start planning a new gathering?  The new URL is
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam>.  Debian can probably help
> out with funding, and Andreas Schuldei got friends in Spain that could
> provide a location.
>
> I know FOSDEM is coming up (in February) and will host a java meeting,
> so I suggest the next devjam should be later in the spring, perhaps
> May (co-located with debconf6 in Mexico?).

Since I am personally pretty busy at the moment (with Fosdem) I have
CCed the GNU Classpath mailinglist since there are more hackers there
that can help plan the next DevJam.

It is probably good if interested people would already add their name
and location to http://wiki.debian.org/Java/DevJam
Then we can more easily see what a good location would be.
Since the last DevJam and the Fosdem meetings were all in Europe it
might make sense to have the next DevJam in North America/Canada (since
I believe that is were a large part of our hackers are located).

The difference between the Fosdem meeting and the DevJam meeting is that
DevJam is more focused on actually hacking and working out ideas
together and less about "end-users", demos and presentations. So if
people could add ideas for one or two day hack sessions to the wiki page
that would be nice to see what projects can be worked on.

If people want to help organize this please do join the devjam
mailinglist: http://developer.classpath.org/mailman/listinfo/devjam

Cheers,

Mark