Re: Hacking Classpath in Eclipse

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Hacking Classpath in Eclipse
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:57:49 -0500

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 19:21 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mark> I found a cute hack to actually run a single mauve Testlet from within
> Mark> eclipse using the just compiled classpath:
>
> Mark> $ mkdir -p ~/workspace/classpath/install/jre/lib
> Mark> $ touch ~/workspace/classpath/install/jre/lib/rt.jar
>
> Mark> Now as by magic you can add ~/workspace/classpath/install as JRE to
> Mark> eclipse (under Preferences -> Java -> JREs) and then configure Runners
> Mark> to use that alternative jre.
>
> Note that this will work for running something, but not if you want
> to compile against that JRE.
>
> For the latter I think we need to come up with some kind of "fake jdk"
> project.  I actually have the start of one here, but I haven't
> finished polishing it yet.

This is an example of why it would be very useful to make Classpath
fully bootstrappable by merging e.g. cp-tools, gjdoc, gij and gcjx into
the Classpath repository/build system.  Long term I guess this is where
we're headed but this is just another data point that we're going in the
right direction.

> Ideally Eclipse would offer the possibility of auto-exporting the
> build results as a .jar.  That would solve this entirely.

Yes, I've wanted that in several other situations.  Let's file an
enhancement bug with Eclipse.

Tom