classpathx-discuss

Junit (was Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Servlet API)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Junit (was Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Servlet API)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:48:19 +0100

>>> <address@hidden> 06-Jun-01 3:38:43 PM >>>

>1) it uses the IBM public license, which is listed
>as a non-GPL-compatible free software license.
>Does this mean that we wouldn't be able to
>distribute the test cases?

I think so. I think it also means we won't be able to put them in the
CVS.

>2) I don't see why the unit test couldn't be packaged
>in along with the  individual cvs modules.

Because JUnit isn't licenced well. Still, we might be able to do it.
I'll have to look in detail at the architecture.

>3) in my opinion, using a framework like junit is better
>that just writing ad-hoc cases into main because it
>encourages consistency in the way you test. It makes
>test cases easier to write (therefore making it more likely
>that a lazy developer will actually write them). And once
>written, makes them easier to combine into test suites.

Ok. I know that Dave Brownell has some views on testing. Dave is our
XML man and the project our XML stuff comes from is a testing
framework he was working on.

He's a bit busy at the moment but he is on this list so I'm sure
he'll reply. I think it would be interesting to see his views.

>for more info see
>http://junit.sourceforge.net/

Do you know the webmaster of that site? If so you might want to tell
him that most of the links aren't working.

>The only reason I mentioned junit is because it
>is the framework that I have the most experience
>with, but I wouldn't have any objection to something
>else...

If you want to start writing test cases right away then please use
JUnit but keep the test cases out of the Classpathx CVS.

If you can wait till Dave has had a chance to tell us what he thinks
about testing we can come to a group decision.

Nic