classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: servlet code
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:42:21 +0100

>>> Per Bothner <address@hidden> 16-Jun-01 12:54:34 AM >>>

   The biggest problem with LGPL is that it is
   fundamentally incompatible with delivery of
   embedded applications.  It requires that the person
   receiving the code be able to relink it - which is
   not an option when it is burned into ROM.

I've got flu and can't really work this out. However, the Classpathx
project would be happy to accomodate the gcc project by doing one of
these things:

1. relicensing all the code to GPL+exception
2. dual licensing all the code

   What I've been experiementing with (as part of
   my "day job") is compiling a pseudo-servlet to a
   shared library using gcj, and having that be loaded
   by an Apache-2.0 module.  It works, though it is still
   rather primitive.  We think this may be a higher-
   performance general-purpose server that *in addition*
   can serve servlets fast.

I doubt whether it would be quicker than, say Paperclips, compiled to
byte code.

However, such code might have it's uses to us Paperclips people as a
"connector" to Apache. Connectors are used in many servlet containers
(eg: Tomcat) to have a native server like Apache handle file servicing
whilst passing on requests for servlets to the container.

The servlet engine is still rather complicated though. I doubt you'll
be able to get good compliance to the servlet API without doing a lot
of work (how will you suport session for example? and servlet
contexts?). Paperclips code might help you there. And Paperclips
developers will certainly be able to help you with any problems you
have.

I have some funding issues here right now which are preventing me
buying a decent test box for Paperclips through GCJ. I believe when I
get that done we will have a very fast server indeed.

Nic