classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] gnu.crypto project (long)

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] gnu.crypto project (long)
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:29:55 -0800

> JavaSoft's JCA/JCE is a de-facto standard of a cryptographic API, but is
> not the only one!  Others; eg. GSS-API, exist.  There is also no proof
> that the jce _is_ an optimal minimalist API on which to build more
> elaborate ones.

Well, optimal is in the eye of the beholder, and I was never a huge
fan of GSS-API .. but I'd certainly agree that some of the premises
behind "JCA" have always been weak, and that escaping from some
of those JDK 1.1 mistakes would in many ways be a Good Thing.
JCE carried lots of unnecessary baggage.

- Dave