classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] javamail supplemental licence terms

From: dog
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] javamail supplemental licence terms
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:38:11 +0100

it has been brought to my attention that there is a clause in sun's javamail
1.3 supplemental licence terms which is more than a little anticompetitive.

in section 2(iii) of the agreement it states that:

  "you do not distribute additional software intended to replace any
  component(s) of the Software"

this means that, for instance, it is not possible to use sun's javamail
distribution and the gnu pop3 or smtp provider, or vice versa.

i am happy to create single jars of each gnu javamail provider such that
conflicts do not occur (there is no sun mbox or nntp provider to replace) if
people want to use these providers between now and the time the gnu imap
provider is finished and we have a complete javamail distro. please contact
me if you have this requirement.
--
dog
falco | raptor | ukrmma#18