classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ChangeLog ServletAPI update

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ChangeLog ServletAPI update
Date: 21 Apr 2003 20:43:48 +0100

well done for doing this.

I recently resigned from the Servlet API design team (due to technical
differences) so I'm not able to do this anymore.

Arnaud Vandyck <address@hidden> writes:

> 2003-04-21  Arnaud Vandyck  <address@hidden>
>
>       * jsp/SkipPageException.java: added
>
>       * jsp/JspTagException.java (JspTagException): added two constructors.
>
>       * jsp/JspException.java (getRootCause): added. Also added two
> constructors.
>
>       * jsp/PageContext.java (include): IllegalArgumentException,
>       SecurityException do not need to be in the signature, only in the
>       documentation
>       (forward): IllegalArgumentException, IllegalStateException,
>       SecurityException do not need to be in the signature, only in the
>       documentation.
>       (include): String path, boolean flush: new in JSP 2.0
>       (handlePageException): Exception: [javadoc] throws
>       NullPointerException, SecurityException
>       (handlePageException): Throwable: [javadoc] throws
>       NullPointerException, SecurityException
>       (popBody): new in JSP 2.0 but don't know if the implementation is
>       good!
>       (PageContext): removed a lot of methods that I did not see in the
>       current specifications.
>       NOTE: This class is NOT usable for now!

Why not?

> 2003-04-20  Arnaud Vandyck  <address@hidden>
>
>       * jsp/PageContext.java (PageContext): extends JspContext (JSP 2.0)
>       (PAGE_SCOPE): 1
>       (REQUEST_SCOPE): 2
>       (SESSION_SCOPE): 3
>       (APPLICATION_SCOPE): 4
>       NOTE: I don't know if we must keep the same values as the original
>       jsp api. If we do, we have to replace the values in the sources by
>       these ones. BUT: these values are defined in the parent class, so
>       we can also just erase the four properties in this (PageContext)
>       class.
>       (getSession): is an abstract method!
>       (getPage): new abstract method
>       (getRequest): new abstract method
>       (getResponse): new abstract method
>       (getException): is an abstract method!
>       (getServletConfig): is an abstract method!
>
>       * jsp/JspWriter.java (getRemaining): added
>
> 2003-04-19  Arnaud Vandyck  <address@hidden>
>
>       * jsp/JspFactory.java (getEngineInfo): added
>
>       * jsp/JspContext.java: new in the 2.0 JSP spec.
>
>       * jsp/ErrorData.java: new in the 2.0 JSP spec.

These look like they will totally break gnujsp (which is very old
indeed).

The GNU-Paperclips project adopted the GNUJSP code (kinda). Would
anyone listening like to help with making GNUJSP relevant again?

>       * GenericServlet.java (init): QUESTION! Do the servlet have to
>       log("started") when the ini(ServletConfig) is called?

ANSWER: No, that's implementation detail. Something that containers should do.

Nic