classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Getting only latest X messages of a newsgroup

From: Cedric Hyppolite
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Getting only latest X messages of a newsgroup
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:26:28 +0200

Hi Chris,

I see two ways:

- Get at most X latest articles: fetching the message headers using (last - X) or first -> last as the range in NNTPFolder.getMessages()

- Get exactly the X latest articles: fetching the message headers using first -> last and keeping only the latest X messages

Either way, the internal cache is used to prevent queries for previously downloaded messages. Once the getMessages() returned the array of X recent messages, their full content can be downloaded using fetch(Message[], FetchProfile)

There would be one property (for example 'mail.nntp.limittolatest' ) that states the number of messages to download at most or exactly. This property should be read each time before being used so that a client could change the value before fetching each newsgroup.

Cédric