[Cons-discuss] TAGS anyone?

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: [Cons-discuss] TAGS anyone?
Date: 20 Sep 2000 10:29:48 -0400

I'm trying to deicde how I want cons to build my TAG files.  Right
now, my Conscripts are only aware of their immediate subdirectories.
They don't have any knowlege of subdirecties those subdirectories
might have.  I would like to keep it that way.  I can easily build
TAGS files in each directory; however, I want the TAGS files for an
entire directory hierarchy to be included for other directory
hierarchies.  Let me be more specific.  In my project's toplevel I
have a common directory with many subdirectories.  Also in my
project's toplevel I have several subprojects.  Each of the
subproject's Conscripts Link in common and use source code from there.
I would like to be able to have one TAG file in the common directory
that is for all the files in that hierarchy.  Actually, it would be
nice if each subproject only had one TAG file in it's toplevel
directory.

I'm not sure how to cascade the TAG files to the upper level directory
as they are being built.  I could put a Command in each of the
immediate subdirectories of my project's toplevel directory that uses
a 'find' command to build the TAG file.  The problem is that the TAG
file will be built with every build (since it won't have a good
dependency list).  Actually, I'm not sure how to handle the
dependency list at all.  The TAG files only need to be rebuilt
sporadically.

Anyway, has anyone addresses this before?  Is it easiest to handle
building the TAG files outside of cons?
--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn (mailto:address@hidden http://www.lathi.net)
 oo /  Unix Hacker