Re: [Cons-discuss] TAGS anyone? (long, sorry)

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: [Cons-discuss] TAGS anyone? (long, sorry)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:33:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On 21 Sep 2000, Doug Alcorn wrote:

> Johan Holmberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > #----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > sub cons::TagsFile
> > {
> >     my($env) = shift;
> >     my($tgt) = $dir::cwd->lookupfile($env->_subst(shift));
> >     my($progenv) = $env->_resolve($tgt);
> >     $tgt->bind(find build::command::linkedmodule($progenv,
> >                                                  $progenv->{TAGSCOM}),
> >            map($dir::cwd->lookupfile($env->_subst($_)), @_));
> > }
> > #----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I don't really understand how this actually works.  I though I could
> just "plug-n-chug".  However, after setting up all my Conscripts to
> use it I have a few questions.
>
> First, this function doesn't print out the command as it's executing.
> I like to see what's going on.
[...]
> Specifically, before I put in the check of -f $file I was getting
> complaints from cons about not knowing how to build
> 'subdir1/someheader.h' or 'common/anotherheader.h'.  Also, when I do
> 'cons TAGS' sometimes it goes off compiling some of my source files
> into objects.  That's not what I expected at all.

Instead of answering your questions directly, here are some general
remarks:

- commands are always printed as they are executed (unless "@" is
  used as the first character of the command)
  If you don't see the command, I don't think it is executed.

- The "TagsFile" rule worked in my example. I tested it with the
  latest development release of cons.

- your should NOT have to test if a file exist with -f.
  Also note that cons does NOT change diretory to the directories
  of called Conscript files, so your usage of -f would
  probably always give false as answer.

- have you used "cons -pa . " to see if cons and you have the same
  view of what you have told cons ?
  My experience is that if cons does the wrong thing, it's usually
  because one has told it to do the wrong thing ;-)

/Johan Holmberg