Re: Separate obj tree

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Separate obj tree
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:14:41 -0400 (EDT)

  DA> Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> writes:
  >> However, if you're using emacs (on Unix, with links) you have to
  >> have things set up just right otherwise you can get two buffers
  >> on the same file (via the different link names).

  DA> Are you saying that you have figured out how to overcome this
  DA> problem?  Please share.

I set the following things:

(require 'uniquify)
(setq
 backup-by-copying-when-linked t
 find-file-existing-other-name t
 uniquify-buffer-name-style 'post-forward-angle-brackets
 compilation-search-path '(nil "src/")
)

Find-file-existing-other-name is *almost* what I really want; if I
already have a buffer on the file with the error, it finds it.  If not
though, it opens it using the build link.  This still works on Unix,
it's just ugly.  On NT of course, it fails (file's copied), and since
I now have a fully split personality I try to avoid it even on Unix
because my fingers will type it automatically on NT and I'll be
screwed.

The uniquify stuff helps you at least see when you're editing the
wrong buffer.

I suspect using compilation-search-path and a filter function on your
compilation output might do what you want; see
comint-preoutput-filter-functions and the like.  If you get that to
work, let me know!

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden