RE: "String too long" during cons build

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: RE: "String too long" during cons build
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:06:57 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Kolarik, Tony wrote:

> Sorry to bother the non NT users out there but...

You are not the only one struggling on NT ... :-)

> It looks like it's cmd.exe (the NT command interpreter) that's choking.
>
> C:\WINNT\system32>strings -a cmd.exe | grep "character string"
> The following character string is too long:
>
> I don't know why this happens on only one guys machine - cons emits the same
> strings in a given build tree, all relative to the # root.  Any idea if he
> may have inadvertently set a maximum string length?  Or how to "advertently"
> set it to a larger number?  Thanks,
>  -- Tony K.

I don't know if this is relevant for your case, but I have noticed
that it is possible to run cons on NT both with and without
"cmd.exe" in the PATH in your cons-environment. cons behaves
slightly different but seems to work in both cases.

I guess that the Perl "system" function executes commands via
"cmd.exe" if it can find "cmd.exe", and does it otherwise if
"cmd.exe" isn't found (perhaps calling some Win32 function
to run a process directly).

/Johan Holmberg