Installing 3rd party files w/o knowing all dependencies

From: Kolarik, Tony
Subject: Installing 3rd party files w/o knowing all dependencies
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:48:48 -0400

I'd need to copy a bunch of 3rd party binaries from within the build tree to
a central export directory.  It can't depend on a particular file, I'd
rather not enumerate every file that the copy operations depend on, and it
should be a one time operation that happens no matter what target gets built
first.  I want to be sure that if *anything* got built into export then
these files are there  installed there too.

Can someone offer a clean way to do this?  Command just isn't happy with my
efforts so far, which at this point probably make no sense.  In any event
Command never seems to get what it wants to do my copy.

As an aside the way the doc reads to me almost sounds like Install or
InstallAs will do just copy arbitrary files if they are out of date or don't
exist in the target directory.  Doesn't seem to work that way though.

Thanks a lot,
 -- Tony K.

# in construct at root of tree
        # copy files needed for packaging

        my @THIRDPARTYFILES = ();
        if ($BUILDTYPE eq 'release') {
                @THIRDPARTYFILES  = qw(
                        ace.dll
                        blt24.dll
                        itcl31.dll
                        itk31.dll
                        MSVCIRT.DLL
                        MSVCP60.DLL
                        MSVCRT.DLL
                        tcl82.dll
                        tclpip82.dll
                        tk82.dll
                        tls7012d.dll
                        xerces-c_1_1.dll
                        xmlparse.dll
                        xmltok.dll
                        );
        }
        else {
                @THIRDPARTYFILES = qw(
                        aced.dll
                        blt24.dll
                        itcl31.dll
                        itk31.dll
                        MSVCIRTD.DLL
                        MSVCP60D.DLL
                        MSVCRTD.DLL
                        tcl82.dll
                        tclpip82.dll
                        tk82.dll
                        tls7015d.dll
                        xerces-c_1_1.dll
                        xerces-c_1_1.pdb
                        xmlparse.dll
                        xmltok.dll
                        );
        }

        $abscwd = cwd();
        $exppath = DirPath $BIN;

        $absexp = "$abscwd/$exppath";

        # the files exist in #bin/debug or #bin/release
        @EXTFILES  = map("bin/$BUILDTYPE/$_", @THIRDPARTYFILES);

        # $BIN is #export/debug/bin or #export/release/bin
        @TARGETFILES = map("$BIN/$_", @THIRDPARTYFILES);

        print "EXTFILES: @EXTFILES\n\n";
        print "TARGETFILES: @TARGETFILES\n\n";

        # this echo's zilch